Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Pancake Pleasures!


My sisters waffle recipe is fantastic! It works really well for pancakes as well. I am a big fan of both waffles and pancakes and have come up with a few additions that make them even better.


One of my favorite pancake options found below:
Gluten Free Waffles (Eating Gluten Free.Com)
(I prefer the waffle recipe more than the pancake recipe)
3 eggs separated
scant ¼ c. sugar
1 ¾ c. milk
½ c. oil
2 c. featherlight mix
1 tsp. xanthan gum
½ tsp. salt
1 Tbs. baking powder
Optional:
diced canned peaches
crushed raspberries
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
almond extract (flavor to taste)
(you can add all of these together, it tastes fabulous, or just a few of them)
Beat together eggs, milk, and oil. In another bowl, mix featherlight mix, xanthan gum, salt, sugar and baking powder. Mix milk mixture into flour. Bake on a hot waffle iron. (Or on a griddle for pancakes) Keep waffles in a warm oven (with the door cracked open) until you are ready to eat. Any leftover waffles may be placed in Ziploc bags and frozen. They may then be reheated in the toaster.
Toppings:
Vanilla Yogurt w/ fresh sliced strawberries
Sliced canned peaches or Fresh sliced peaches
Nutella Topping
For more of a dessert try eating with Vanilla ice cream and sliced strawberries, I'm not going to lie, I eat this topping on my waffles for breakfast. It's one of our family traditions, not healthy but super delicious.

3 comments:

  1. Yummy yummy yummy. I love ice cream for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the options. I will have to try them!! Question for you: I use this waffle recipe, but I separate the eggs and beat the egg whites with the sugar then fold them at the end. Do I have to do that, when making waffles or the pancakes (cuz I really hate that step)? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't have to separate the eggs if you don't want to, especially if you are mixing it in a kitchen aid or similar large mixer, it will beat enough air into the batter to help the waffles be fluffy. Also if your batter seems too think don't be afraid to add more milk or water to thin it out. Xanthan Gum strengths differ at times and pancakes may not cook all the way through.

    ReplyDelete